8-week Wine Courses
Welcome to our popular 8-Week Wine Courses!
Join us on a 2-month jaunt across the globe as we visit a variety of wine-making countries, tasting everything from Bordeaux Saint-Estephe to Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc as we go. If you want an in-depth, yet broad-based, explanation on wine styles then these are the courses for you!
We run 2 distinctive levels:
- LEVEL 1 - for beginners: 'Introduction to the World of Wine'. This course will explore wine regions around the globe, and will present you with the most famous wines of that country. You will get to understand wine-producing countries, their history, geography and geology, as well as wine-making methods and favourite grape varieties.
- LEVEL 2 - the follow-up course: 'France vs New World wines'. This course is conducted BLIND! Having studied the 'Introduction to the World of Wine' first will give you the right background knowledge to carry on studying wine styles. This time, all wines will be tasted blind in order for your tastebuds to learn even more, and thus make this course even more rewarding. You will get to understand wine and wine components to the point of being able to identify wines blind, all thanks to our very own tasting method.
Your tutor, Cecile Bergart, is a published Champagne and Wine Educator, a guest champagne expert for Champagne World Magazine, for Channel 4 'Superscrimpers', a regular guest speaker on BBC Radio Solent, as well as being an approved staff educator for Marks and Spencer. Trust us when we say that you will be in good hands!
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS?
Our Wine Courses are indeed structured as practical introduction to the exciting and ever-involving world of wine, and designed specifically for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it. You do not need any previous experience, and the emphasis is on learning by tasting different varieties of wine. It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your love of wine. You will soon learn which wines you like and where to buy them.
- Over 60 wines will be tasted in 8 weeks
- Retail prices of wines tasted will be from £8 to over £30
- Discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines
- Wine & Food Matching advice
- Common wine faults - how to spot them
- Storing & Serving wine advice
- Taste the worlds major Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon, Viognier, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc, & many others!
WHAT SHOULD I GET FROM THIS COURSE?
By the end of the 8 evenings :
- You will have gained a good understanding of the world's major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce.
- You will have been taught to assess, and taste wine like a true professional, and be able to identify any faults found in wine (e.g. a corked wine).
- During the 8 evenings we will have tasted wines from most of the worlds major wine regions (tasting approx 60 wines)
- Food & wine matching will also have given you a lot of confidence to try new wine pairings with your favourite foods.
- You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary.
Professional ISO tasting glasses, comprehensive tasting notes and Power Point presentations are provided.
Please Note: Course Fee (£140) excludes cost of wine and room hire which are priced at £10 per evening per person, payable cash on the night. Great value - less than £27.50 per evening, instead of the usual £29 when bought separately!
Each week, we will examine how different grape varieties, different climates and local wine-making techniques impact on the aromas and flavours of the wine. Through practice and our guidance you will learn how to identify the wine's characteristics - we show you how to taste and appraise wine like a professional. We believe that the best aide to learning about wine is the process of tasting and comparing for yourself and that is exactly what you will have the chance to do in our relaxed and informal setting.
WHEN DOES THE COURSE RUN?
This course runs on 8 consecutive Thursdays or Fridays, depending on the course, commencing at 7pm and finishing at 9pm at the earliest.
WHERE IS THE COURSE HELD?
In Winchester city centre, at St James Tavern, 3 Romsey Road.
In Southampton city centre, at Dolphin Hotel, 34-35 High Street.
These wonderful courses make fabulous presents for someone you love - perfect for Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, mothers and fathers' days, etc. Click here to purchase your personalised gift voucher!
This fascinating course will focus on the classic wine regions of France and directly compare them against the best the New World can offer using the same grapes! Join us each
Places remaining: 20
Date/Time: 22nd Jan 2021 at 7pm
Venue: Dolphin Hotel (Mercure), 34-35 High Street, Southampton, SO14 2HN