Saturday 'Introduction to Wine' Course (SOUTHAMPTON)
Saturday 'Introduction to Wine' Course in Southampton: 11am to 4pm, 11 wines, a 2-course lunch & a glass of Champagne!
Passionate or interested about wine & want to learn more? Do you want to discover fascinating and delicious new wines & grape varieties? Do you want to taste a wide variety of wines and understand what makes them so different ? Do you want to know which wine to drink with what food? Then these are the courses for you and is a fascinating Introduction to the wonderful world of wine! It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your love of wine. This course also includes a delicious 2-course lunch with a glass of Champagne in the large restaurant area of the Dolphin Hotel.
So come and enjoy a friendly, informal and fun wine journey tasting 11 wines from around the world. No previous experience necessary!
The Hampshire Wine School owner and wine tutor, Cecile Bergart, is a Sommelier, a published Champagne and WSET-trained Wine Educator, a guest champagne expert for Champagne World Magazine, for Channel 4 'Superscrimpers', a regular guest speaker on BBC Radio Solent, as well as being an approved staff educator for Marks and Spencer, for which she runs regular in-store tastings and staff training days. She also trained the food & beverage staff of both luxurious Claridge's and The Dorchester hotels for 4 years before setting up the School. She was a judge at the International 'Glass of Bubbly' Competition and passed the Champagne Master-Level Certificate in 2018. Trust us when we say that you will be in good hands!
- Introduction to the World's major wine countries and regions
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, California) vs Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Spain)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Pinotage, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, Tempranillo & more
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Torrontes, Albarino, Gewurztraminer, etc
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation and ageing
Two-course lunch in the restaurant section of the Dolphin Hotel.
- How to taste wines like a professional – aroma, flavours, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, oak, etc
- Tutored Tasting of 11 Wines - 5 whites and 6 reds
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy, where to obtain the best value for money, storing & serving wine, understanding wine labels
- Food & Wine Matching tips & advice
All our courses can be purchased as a Gift Voucher. Perfect present for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
"Best birthday present for my daughter I've ever bought! Fantastic day - learnt so much about some wonderful wines. Delivered with so much passion - it was infectious!" (Kevin and daughter Jemma)
PLEASE NOTE: We can confirm that we have complied with the government’s ‘COVID-19 Secure’ guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19 in the workplace. Due to the constantly changing nature of this guidance and advice, our internal operating practices and protocols will be continuously reviewed and immediately updated. The information detailed here may therefore change without notice. The measures our venues are enforcing will make your experience with us as seamless as possible and will allow us to minimise numbers of people in the venue at any time. Therefore, we will be running at reduced capacity. Only 12 people will ever be allowed to join me at a tasting at St James' Tavern in Winchester, whereas our function room at the Mercure Dolphin Hotel in Southampton is significantly bigger and can accommodate 20 people whilst still enforcing social distancing restrictions.
The situation is fluid still and we are hoping to gradually build back up towards normal proceedings and we are appreciative of your continued patience and support.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sat 31st Oct 2020 at 11am - 4pm
Duration: 5 hrs
Venue: Dolphin Hotel (Mercure), 34-35 High Street, Southampton, SO14 2HN