Saturday 'Introduction to Wine' Course (WINCHESTER)
Join us on an 'Introduction to Wine' day from 11.00am to 4.00pm including a glass of Champagne and a delicious 2-course lunch at St James Tavern in Winchester. Our setting will be their beautiful function room in this beautiful, local pub.
This wonderful day out (lunch and a glass of Champagne included!) can be bought as a Gift Voucher, perhaps for a special birthday present or an anniversary treat?
Passionate or interested about wine & want to learn more? Do you want to discover fascinating and delicious new wines & grape varieties? Do you want to taste a wide variety of wines and understand what makes them so different ? Do you want to know which wine to drink with what food? Then these are the courses for you and is a fascinating Introduction to the wonderful world of wine! It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your love of wine. This course also includes a glass of award-winning Champagne and a mouth-watering 2-course lunch, freshly prepared by St James Tavern's Chef.
Your tutor, Cecile Bergart, is a published Champagne and Wine Educator, a guest champagne expert for Champagne World Magazine, for Channel 4 'Superscrimpers', a regular guest speaker on BBC Radio Solent, as well as being an approved staff educator for Marks and Spencer for which she runs all their in-store tastings. She also used to train food & beverage staff at both Claridge's and The Dorchester. She i a judge at the International 'Glass of Bubbly' Competition and passed the world-acclaimed Champagne Master-Level Certificate. Trust us when we say that you will be in good hands!
- Introduction to the world’s major wine regions
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, California) vs Old World Classics (France, Italy and Spain)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and others.
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling and others
- How wine is made – grapes, fermentation, ageing and influence of oak
- How to taste wines – Colour, aromas and flavours
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, oak
- Tutored tasting of 11 Wines - 5 whites and 6 reds
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy, where to obtain the best value for money, storing and serving wine and understanding wine labels
- Food and wine matching: tips, hints and advice.
Tempted? Book now!
All tastings include: minimum of 11 wines sourced locally so you can find them easily if you like them, full tasting notes, PowerPoint presentation, tasting sheet, use of professional ISO tastings glasses; a delicious two-course meal with a glass of Champagne.
This course is perfect for people who are new to wine tasting and just want to learn more in a relaxed environment. This evening makes a great present and can be bought as a Gift Voucher for £95.
Places remaining: 4
Course Date/Time: Sat 25th Jan 2020 at 11am - 4pm
Duration: 5 hours
Venue: St James Tavern, 3 Romsey Street, Winchester, SO22 5BE