8-week Comparison Course (Level 2): France vs New World (WINCHESTER)
This fascinating course will focus on the classic wine regions of France and directly compare them against the best the New World can offer using the same grapes!
Join us each evening as we taste several pairs of wines made from the same variety, but from different countries. Can you easily tell the difference between Syrah from the south of France and Shiraz from the Barossa Valley in Australia? By the end of the course you will!
We will compare Cabernet Sauvignon blends, Syrah/Shiraz blends, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Malbec and more from the best locations and producers from France and the New World.
It is only when you taste these wines together that the differences start to stand out, and the comparisons can bring some amazing insights into wine styles. We will taste wines from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Argentina, California and compare them to wine from the Loire, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone and Alsace.
Your tutor, Cecile Bergart, is a sommelier and a published Champagne and Wine Educator, a guest champagne expert for Champagne World Magazine, for Channel 4 'Superscrimpers', a judge at the International 'Glass of Bubbly' Competition, a regular guest speaker on BBC Radio Solent, as well as being an approved staff educator for Marks and Spencer for which she runs all their in-store tastings throughout the year. She also used to train food & beverage staff at both Claridge's and The Dorchester. She passed the acclaimed Champagne Master-Level Certificate in 2018. Trust us when we say that you will be in good hands!
Course Programme (8 sessions - all THURSDAYS, starting on THURSDAY 23/01/20:
- Week 1 on 23/01/20 - Malbec from around the world: South-Western France vs New World
- Week 2 on 30/01/20 - Chardonnay from around the world: Burgundy vs New World
- Week 3 on 06/02/20 - Pinot Noir from around the world: Burgundy vs New World
- Week 4 on 13/02/20 - Bordeaux red blends from around the world: Bordeaux vs New World
- Week 5 on 20/02/20 - Sauvignon Blanc from around the world: Loire Valley vs New World
- Week 6 on 27/02/20 - GSM blends from around the world: Chateauneuf-du-Pape vs New World
- Week 7 on 05/03/20 - Exquisite Roses and Fruity Reds from around the world: South of France vs New World
- Week 8 on 12/03/20 - Old World (Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria etc) vs New World - Let's step away from France for a week and expand our horizon to the rest of the Old World to discover how their wines stand next to New World equivalents! Some varietals to be explored: Zinfandel/Primitivo; Tempranillo, Grenache/Garnacha, Riesling, Gewurtztraminer, Pinot Grigio/Gris ...
All in all a fantastic opportunity to taste over 50 exciting wines and discover those you like best. Challenge the way you think about wine - forever!
"The past 8 weeks have been so enjoyable, entertaining and educational and your presentation excellent. Having been an adventurous wine drinker and big francophile for over 40 years it was so enjoyable to come out of each session having learned something new." (Tony Binns)
PowerPoint presentation, professional ISO tasting glasses and comprehensive tasting notes provided every night.
Please note: there is an additonal cost of £10 per evening per person payable in cash, this covers both wine costs and room hire.
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Thu 23rd Jan 2020 at 7pm
Duration: 2 hrs each evening
Venue: St James Tavern, 3 Romsey Road, Winchester, SO22 5BE